How to prepare for IAS
This is a guide to your IAS Preparations and we are giving subject wise details of strategy that you may take up during your preparation for the IAS Exam. We are still adding resources to this website for Civil Services preparation.
- 100 objective questions on GS/Current affairs which does not contain any English language questions.
- There will be four general studies papers each will carry 250 marks each. Total marks -1000
- A candidate now has to choose one optional subject from the list of subjects. There will be two papers for the optional subject carrying - 250 marks each. Total -500 marks
- There will be one paper on Essay of 300 marks.
- There will be compulsory English and language paper whose marks will not be counted but are of qualifying nature.
Choosing Optional Subject for IAS
The popular choices among candidates are; Public Administration, Sociology, Geography, History, Political Science and Philosophy. More than 80% of the test-takers opt for these subjects. This is because all these subjects overlap with general studies and most candidates opt for them. Among them Public Administration & Sociology are the most popular choices.