Basics of cyber security
From Just Wiki
- Internet is controlled predominantly by US and internet governance policies are heavily influenced by US.
- US has previously spied on Brazilian and Indian Government.
- All domain names are mange and by ICANN, which is operated by veriSign, a US government contractor. US can seize user sites or domains anywhere in world.
- Data held by companies are subject to surveillance.
- Co-ordination between technology and law and governance on the other hand has become problem. India has failed to control unrestricted access of pornographic material.
Cyber Security & India
- Cyber security awareness of both users and law enforcement agency is low. With the objective of increasing awareness of consumers of electronics, GOI has declared the electronic items like PC , tablet, mobile should contain cyber security brochures containing information on cyber security.
- India is presently facing threat of :
- 1. Cyber - warfare - politically motivated hack, sabotage, threat from Al-Qaeda, ISIS, hate message
- 2. Cyber-terrorism - act of deliberate disruption of network by virus
- 3. Cyber-espionage - cyber spying obtaining info, PRISM
- India do not have any "Critical information Infrastructure protection agency"
- Developing independent networks to address issue of dominance of US and monopoly enjoyed by ICANN
- A German organization Open Root Server Network is at present operating a service, user have to modify DNS of their access device.